Linggo, Hulyo 5, 2015

Dado Banatao

      The story about Dado Banatao was really an inspiring story of a simple person who dreamed big and was determined to get the kind of life that a person would desire. Many of the Filipinos are living a kind of life that they call “isang kahig, isang tuka.” This kind of life is very difficult to handle for other individual who get used to a have a blessed life. But, for those who get used to have this kind of life, it doesn’t matter to them anymore. Sometimes, as we all know, many of them are just happy, doing anything they want, though they don’t have work but they still managed to survive. The life of Dado Banatao is no different from the kind of life mentioned earlier. His family is living in a rural place somewhere in Cagayan. His father was a farmer and they don’t have much to have a life that can sustain all their needs and even Dado’s wants during his childhood. But it didn’t matter to Dado even if their situation was like that. Instead, he was so considerate with his family and he did anything he could to be a good son to his father. As what I saw in the video, his father was really a hardworking person and a good father to him. He did everything for his family even if they are just living like that. Compared to other families, the children only spent their studies until grade 6 and then after that they just help their parents do the farming. Those children don’t even care about that maybe because they are contented with their life just being able to eat three times a day and go out when needed and do what they want. It is different with Dado Banatao.

Every child in this world does not really care with what is happening around them. Basically, a child just wants to play with other children outside. It is enough for them to eat when they are hungry, drink when they are thirsty, cry when they are hurt and laugh when they have fun and happy. Aside from that personal nature of being a child, they also just have to go to school because of the reason that they were sent there. They don’t mind to have good grades or excel in class. Well, not all of them are like that. Others are naturally genius that they seem to have fun and enjoy learning and learning new things and more. They don’t get satisfied with just few ideas or with what they see, hear, and learn in school. They still want to explore things outside and widen their learning in school. They naturally want to be better than anyone else. One of those children who were naturally genius was Dado Banatao. During his childhood days, he does not have time to play. Earlier, I was talking about the general kinds of children. But, considering the situation of the family of Dado Banatao in that rural place in Cagayan, they were obviously poor. So, to be able to survive every day, his parents have to work the whole day to earn a living and provide what their family needs. Because of that, Dado has to help his father do the farming. He is a kind of child that is concerned with the situation they have. All of the other children outside are playing basketball, or anything but he is just looking at them happy doing their thing while Dado is carrying the feeling of just being a responsible son to his father. So instead of playing with them outside, he is doing his job. Actually, the father of Dado Banatao is such a good father. He took all the responsibility of providing the needs of their family while he let Dado do his job which is to study and focus on it until he succeeds. It was not mentioned in the video that Dado really wanted that kind of life but knowing the characteristics of Dado, maybe his mindset was to fulfil what his father wanted him to be or just succeed in studying and support Dado with whatever he wanted to be. That was how the life of Dado rolled during his childhood days. All of the hardships in their life were nothing for Dado because he was just so determined to be a successful person someday. He even experienced going to school and roamed around with no slippers and endure the heat of the sun just to go to school. He did not ask for anything, he just accepted the situation and embrace the kind of life they had. I think for him, it was not a hindrance at all. And considering how successful he become, for sure he just made their situation an inspiration to be successful and give his family a kind of life wherein they don’t have to kill themselves to earn money for a living and a life that is worth the price of all the sacrifices of his parents just for him to achieve everything.

It is also a relief that Dado Banatao had a very considerate father and very supportive of him in his studies and of their family. Normally, those parents who are living a very struggling life would not bother sending their children to school. Most of them think that what their children learn in their respective homes will be enough for their children to live a life and just have work even if it is the very least as long as they earn money and survive every day. Actually, I think every parent have their own way of teaching their children the ways and realities of life according to how they look at it. It is just so lucky of Dado that his parents especially his father was a very good and supportive father. The reason why I was able to say that was because his father did not dictate him what to do and what course to choose when he got to college. His father was only responsible for supporting them and providing what they need. Dado was let to just study what he wants and his father did not bother him with whatever choice he made. Normally, the first person who will suggest what course to choose when you go to college is your parents. And the worst thing is that they don’t only suggest, they really tell you what to do and what to choose because of their reasons. If you ask me, this fact is what I really hate the most. I myself don’t have freedom to choose what I really want to. Unfortunately, it may be wrong but my father was not that kind of person. For him, he only considers what he thinks and dictates everything he wanted us to be because for him he knows everything. I hate it because he was doing it just because of the reason that he failed before with his life being messed up because of all those stupid things he did and he was not able to control himself. Every time he argue with what I am doing and sometimes with what I really wanted to do, he always said that it is not right and was sure that I will just regret it later and I will be a failure because I can’t do this and that but he did not consider my capability of doing things on my own. He did not think that there are things that I can do even if he can’t. Now, I’m living my life according to what he wanted me to do and become. Even if it is clear in my mind that I can’t that someone he want me to be, still I’m pushing all my might just to give and be what he wanted. It is so sad to think that he should be the first person to get worried if I’m not happy with my life. He should be the first to ask if I’m alright, if I am happy with what I am doing. He did not realize that I might not be able to achieve what he wanted me to do because I am not really into what he wanted. Still, since he is the father and the superior in the family, what else could I do? I think it is so unfortunate of me to live a life that seems like it is a never ending torture. But, other parents also have their own way of growing their children. Others just let them be without any care. It is enough them to know that their child is not doing bad things, then do whatever you want. While others just let them their children do the things they like no matter what it is. It may be bad or good, they don’t care at all because for sure those kinds of parents are doing that way also. It is just really lucky for Dado Banatao to have a parent or a father like that. He let Dado do his job but still guiding Dado the right things and was very supportive of whatever Dado needs to succeed.

In the family, we all know that it is not just all about the parent side to consider. As the parents do their responsibilities as a parent, the child or the children should also consider that they have their responsibilities too as a child. Considering that the child can learn first inside their homes, they should learn it and do it as they live their lives. I think it is a good way of showing how they respect their parents and love them and show that they are proud of what they become because of their parents. That is also a good way to show others that it is the kind of family you have. So whenever you get to talk about or share about your family with others, you will not hesitate to tell what they are and what you are now because of them. You will be so proud that you belong to that family and you had them as your parents. Dado Banatao was really a good example of a very responsible son. Knowing that his father did everything for their family and gave him the chance to go to school, Dado did everything also in studying considering that it is his job to study hard. He did not mind that the other children are outside and was able to play and have fun. He was focused in studying and he did not say anything about their situation. I think this is the kind of mindset that parents and the child should have so that both will feel the satisfaction in the achievement of what they are doing.     

        Talking about alternative mindset, I can say that from the very beginning, this should be the mindset of every child and their parents so that in the end of every journey, they will not have regrets and would feel the real meaning of success. I know we are all aware of that usual mindset. I was thinking how I was taught before and what was inside my mind while I am struggling in my studies, and yes, we really are moving everyday with the usual mindset which is to study, get good grades, then look for a better job to be able to help our parents or return their efforts for us. If this is the case, what is wrong with being like this? Why is it we need to have alternative mindset and change the way how we think? When I ask myself these two questions, I thought of many things like am I happy with what I am doing now? Am I satisfied of my place? I am also thinking about the others. Are they really happy with their choices in life? If I were to recall everything, I could say that from the very beginning, I was taught to have this usual mindset and I get used to live with it. Now, considering this alternative mindset, it is such an awakening to have been taught to think or consider things this way. What was this alternative mindset? It was explained very well by our facilitator already. To be able to live life to the fullest, from the very beginning with should have chosen what we love to do like enrol in the course which will make into someone who we wanted to be in the near future. If it was like this, the student will not find it so hard and tiring in studying. This is because he/she loved what he/she is doing. And if ever there might be problems encountered, there is no one to blame; not parents, not professors or teachers, not ones’ self, nor anyone else. Answers are just around every corner for that certain student because what he/she chose was his/her passion. Well, this mindset is somehow related to the video we watched which is about Dado Banatao. Dado really had the alternative mindset as he go along with his studies and all the things that he was doing until he succeed. And that person was the one who I wished I also was. It is so great to be that kind of person, having this alternative mindset. But I guess, for us, especially for me, it is so hard to follow this alternative mindset especially when your parents are expecting you to be someone they want you to be. I don’t know why they don’t seem like they understand me. I am wondering, why are they not proud of what I have and what I am? They just push me to be someone I am not. Is it this hard to set this alternative mindset and get to live with it?

      Anyway, even though I don’t have this alternative mindset or shall I say for now since I already started my studies in college, it is already too late for me to have it, still I like this alternative way of thinking that was taught to us now. Since I learned it now, soon I want to do things considering this alternative mindset already. I know in time, even if we don’t have to set it in our minds, since we will be living our own life already, we will get to live with it. And if the time will come that I will have my children, I will teach the same way to them. I will teach them to set their minds this way. I would love to let them choose what they want to be so that they will not be experiencing too much hardship like what others do. Of course, except choosing the wrong way of life, I will not allow it.

Because of this alternative mindset that the parents of Dado had, Dado was able to push through his limit. While the other children were not able to go to high school and just spent the rest of their lives into farming helping their parents, Dado was able to go to school. From then he was away from his family. It was his first time to be away from them but he did not mind the longing he felt maybe while he was away. I can tell that it is very hard to be distant from your family when it is your first time and you don’t have anyone else that you know from your new place. You don’t have anyone to talk to, and of course in times of hardships and failures your family are the ones that you can really rely on although I don’t have a family like that. Dado was able to endure everything while he was away. How I wish I was like him. If I think about it, it feels like it is so easy to be a responsible son and a responsible student also. But every time I think about what should be done to like that, I am thinking like it is very impossible for me to do it. Most of the time, I feel so lazy especially when there are so much to do. Aside from that, there are times that I wanted to go out with friends when I think I am so stressed out with the studies and with the family matters. Of course, Dado was not able to feel the same way I did because his parents were not like mine. And I think it is hard for me to be like Dado because the determination of Dado was very different from mine. If Dado was that eager to succeed and he had the chance to push through what he really desired, well I am not like that. Although I really want to become a successful one in the future but I can say that what I am doing now is not what I really want. And I am aware that there are so many options to choose from, what’s sad is there is only one option for me and that is to finish what I started because I already wasted so much for this and my parents were expecting me to finish this. If I am not mistaken, Dado did not fail during his high school days. He was able to continue until he reached the final moment of being a high school student. Well, I can recall that it feels really great when you graduate in school. It feels so much like an achievement that at last, you survived and was able to finish the journey in that chapter of your life which is being a high school student. It is not easy of course. It does not meant that since you college already, you’ll see high school life as a piece of crap. No, of course in anything, in any part of your life, in any level of life that you are in, when it is your first time, no matter how old you are or how experienced you become, it will still feel like kind of hard because you cannot expect what will happen next and since you don’t know what will happen then you can’t prepare what should be done.

As what the video shows, Dado Banatao was able to finish his high school without any problem. He then continued his studies with his father supporting him. He chose engineering when he went to college. Knowing that he is a good student or maybe let us say an intelligent person, he was able survive in college. The ideal lifestyle dissipates quickly once the reality is reached. Many young adults imagine vivid pictures of what college might be like for them. They are expecting things that it will happen the way how they see it. However, once these young adults mature into independent individuals, and enter into the school of their choice, they will soon realize the reality of what college would likely be. They must learn to adapt to their new surroundings as quickly as possible to accomplish the sought after degrees. Students come to the realization that life is not as easy as they might hope for. Many young adults seem to believe that college life is filled with parties and typically a laid-back lifestyle. These students believe that, much like high school, classes will resume during daytime and they can just get along with their friends and enjoy every day in school. They imagine a lifestyle with no other worries besides an occasional essay or lab. It is often said that college is the greatest time of one’s life; most of the high school students believe this and look forward to it. Some enjoy the idea of being able to come to class late, leave when they want, and pretty much have say-so of their own lives now that their parents are out of the picture. The majority of college freshmen enter into school picturing an easy, fun-filled ride. These reasons provide support to the unusually low grades of first-year college students. The widespread college ideal lifestyle is seldom the reality. Students quickly learn that many classes stretch into the night time hours. Often, students are not in classes with their friends, but with other students who sometimes can be old enough to be their parents. But most of the time, they are out just because they are lazy to go to school. I can consider myself being like that at times. Especially when I’m not able to sleep much the night before the class, it really feels so tiring and I don’t want to go to school. Sometimes, I really don’t go but if there are assignments or graded activities then even if I have to crawl I will go to school. Well, back to Dado Banatao, I think he did not felt anything like this because as I can imagine, he is the kind of student who will feel bored if there are few things to do. It seems like he really enjoys a lot when new things will challenge his capability and his intellectual skills. I wish I am like that kind of person. Things might not have become this hard for me in my studies if I have that kind of intellect and determination he had.

I was thinking, why is it so easy for him to be able to achieve that high? Did he felt the difference of being a high school and a college student? For me, I can tell that there is really a big difference between high school and college life. One of the differences is the time spent in class. During high school, every day was a constant routine and it is very rare to have a free time. While in college, there are times that in a day, you only have three hours to spend in class for the whole day, which is a lot better because we can do the projects or assignments earlier. We don’t have to have sleepless nights always. Although there are times that we really can’t avoid getting sleepless nights because of the projects and knowing our course which is IT, I can really tell that it is unavoidable. Well, there is this fact also that many of us students have the attitude which is to do things when the deadline is near. That is one reason why we do have sleepless nights. It is just so unlucky that I belong to those many students who are like that. Maybe I can change myself I really want to but it is really hard to be like Dado. While I am imagining things right now, I did realize the big difference of the kind of student he is and me. I felt like I doubt now if I can be successful someday. But I am thinking also that I still have much time to do the things that I really want to and the thing that I’m sure I am capable of doing. Maybe, I can be successful also in my own way and in the path that I best fit in. It may not be as high as what Dado Banatao achieved but at least I can say and feel in myself that I am successful with what I am doing and in the journey that I took.

After all the hardwork and determination of Dado Banatao, he was able to graduate in college as an engineer. But, considering that it happened during the old times, so there were not enough industries that offered work which his skills and what he attained would fit in. So then, he decided to go abroad. There, he felt like he was in a totally different world. He was so overwhelmed with the surroundings. If back then when he was in his country, he felt like he was the excellent in class, there he felt the opposite. He felt like even if he is intelligent, it was still not enough. All of those who surround him seem more intelligent and that pushes him to do better than before. And later on, that was then he created that microchip which can be found in every computer now which we are using. Until the time came that he has to face the crowd and propose his product. That time he felt nervous and doubtful whether he can do it or not. But then, he think about what were those things he had been through and the life he had with his family. That pushes him to do his best to win their approval. But then he failed. I think it was the first time he experienced failure in the long journey he had before. Still, he did not give up. It did not make him stop what he desires and because of what happened, he became much eager to do better than what he did. He did it again and he did it a lot better than the last time. This time, he was able to win it. Because of that, he became totally successful and he did come back to where he came from. Then, he did not just own the success he had. He shared it to others especially to the young ones he think needs to be guided and provided with the materials they need to maximize their potential and discover things beyond their imagination.

What Dado Banatao did was really a good inspiration for all the young ones now and the students to strive harder and survive until they reach the peak of their dreams. It is not very easy for sure but the result of all the sacrifices would be enough for sure to pay the worth of what you give in. This explains the saying “what you sow is what you reap.” If you find it very hard while you continue your journey, just think that what awaits in the end is worth all the sacrifices you’ve done. So, maybe after what I saw in the video, I can tell to other students or maybe I need it also to myself that we have to stay on top of things. The best way to do it is not to get caught up with the social life outside which you encounter during your college life and never allow it to cause your studies get left behind. You should always think the reason why you are there, why you have to study and experience all the hardships. Think of what drives you to become successful. The most helpful factor is to consider the life that your family had. If you love your family that much, then you would never waste the sacrifices they have done for you to be where you are and give you chance to be what you are now. There is nothing worse than approaching the end of the semester and realizing you have procrastinated so much you have an impossible mountain of work. No one needs that added stress. It is really not easy to study hard but it will become worse than that if you will set aside that should be prioritize. In the end, you will regret when you realize that you almost failed in everything; not only in your subjects but in the life that you already build during your elementary and high school days. You gave many years for you to be where you are and after all, you will just waste everything? It will be very much stressful in the latter part and would be very painful when you realize that you also failed your parents. Sometimes, the failure that an individual would encounter while he/she is studying could be considered when the student was pushed to do it when he/she don’t really want it in the first place. But when the individual failed even if the parents did their responsibilities well, it is then a very painful failure for the part of the student since he/she wasted everything. Back then, I have so much fear while I go through my journey. One of those is how to adjust with my freedom. Well, I really don’t have my freedom ever since but then if I get to think about it, living on my own meant my parents were not going to be breathing down my neck to do my work. They were not going to have me home at a certain hour. If I think about that, since I have not experienced it since then, I wanted to have a complete control on my own. These two aspects of being on my own were very exciting but I wondered how I would do without my parents holding my hand. Once things got rolling, I realized I would be all right as long as I stayed motivated. Just like how Dado did it on his own, even if he was get used to living alone, he did not mind it all. He just think of how to do it all alone and get back to where he came from bringing the success that he wanted to have for his family and for everyone else that needs his innovation in no time. Maybe I just have to do it that way too. It might not be this time since I am not very sure of the path that I am in now but for sure in the near future, when I would be mature enough to live my life in the best way I could, I would seek for the right thing to do and choose the path that I can tell that it is where I belong to. Of course, I would not forget to ask for the help of our Almighty Father for we all know that he knows the best for us. Maybe, in no time he will give me the life that would be best for me. I will just have to wait and do my part in achieving that goal. I wish I would really be able to do and feel like the way how Dado Banatao felt when he finally succeed with his journey.



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento